Sunday, February 14, 2010

Drinking and College

Almost everyone does it. Drink in college, I mean. Partying/drinking/greek life, they all go hand in hand. Sometimes drinking does not require the drinker to be in a frat or sorority. Maybe drinking helps take the edge off for the people with majors more difficult than others, say like a Pre-Med Bio major, for example. This weekend I got to see both the benefits and the consequences of drinking alcohol, not first hand, but in the presence of those who did drink a lot. Yes, I have had my experiences with it, but that's not the point of this post.
Drinking often enhances some features of the drinker which can be both good or bad, sadly never both good and bad. I've seen people do funny (sometimes stupid) things while drunk, and I must say it has helped in making some of my freshman year memories so far. Others choose to drink more than they should and can become too emotional, stubborn, or act in a way that is completely unlike their usual, sober selves.
Another problem here at LMU is that freshman, who of course want to drink with the "big boys" have to sneak their alcohol into the dorms. Sadly, this is where LMU freshmen shine, with their crafty ways of getting past those on duty in the lobbies of their buildings and getting liquor in their dorm rooms. Whether it be in a backpack, purse, laundry bag, or pillow case, it gets in and people drink it.
I will keep you all posted about some stories I have and the things I have seen people drink. Sure, if you want to think of me as the new Zane Lamphrey, go for it, I'm flattered. I won't necessarily drink and film it but I will share my drinking experiences with all of you. Before I go, I will leave you with the first drinking story...

My good friend Najarian and I went to visit our friend Danny in Bryan's apartment across campus. There was beer of course, the man's drink of choice, which i strongly dislike so luckily for you, I wasn't drinking that night. There was also a handle of Smirnoff and at LMU especially, Smirnoff = TROUBLE. One of their good friends, Michael, was there and had been drinking quite a bit. Bryan, known to encourage binge drinking, began to shout at Michael, trying to get him to drink. Before we know it, everyone is chanting "FRANK THE TANK!" making him take double shot after double shot. Pretty soon he was DRUNK and lying on the floor in me room, quiet and to himself. Danny and I notice a stain on the floor that wasn't there before. I immediately think it's pee and look at his pants and sure enough, there was a small stain on his crotch. The stain got progressively bigger until finally he ran out of the room out of embarrassment. Turns out the stain on the floor was only drool, but he still peed on my rug.

No comments:

Post a Comment