Monday, November 16, 2009

New Backpack


This weekend I bought a new backpack for school. This used to be a yearly ritual, when my parents took me to the local Office Depot for new supplies and would insist on me getting a new backpack every year. In 7th grade I found a red corduroy JanSport (or how my mother says "Jan-i-sport") backpack that I fell in love with. I was amazed at how much i could fit in it despite its small size, compared to my peers' backpacks. I had used it for my whole 7th grade year and decided to use it for 8th grade as well. Pretty soon I was starting my first year at Ramona and I was walking around campus with that same backpack. It was my signature. People knew who I was from seeing my red, faded, torn backpack. After my junior year I started to put pins on it to make it my own. Several girls would compliment my Kennedy Election Pin (which just so happened to be my favorite) and I knew that my pins were a good idea.
I began college and had received a Coach messenger bag as a graduation present from my Nino Mando that I decided was just too fancy to use and mess up. I had then used en eco-friendly reusable bag that I had received from the ACCESS program I participated in this summer.
My first trip home when I had began to look for Old Red. I asked my parents if they had seen it anywhere. All my dad handed back to me was my highly-acclaimed Kennedy pin. I was crushed. Something that had been a part of me for so long was gone.
Now my reusable bag is ripped and I decided it was time to move on and buy a new backpack. After going to several stores this weekend, I could not find a backpack that I had any liking towards. All of these new backpacks were too fancy and high tech. I just needed something simple to carry my books in.
Last night I ordered my new backpack online that I found somewhat appealing. I'm not sure how this relationship will work out, but I'm hoping that I will have some attachment to a backpack again.

No comments:

Post a Comment